Macular Degeneration Treatment in Sandy Springs, GA
Macular degeneration refers to the chronic loss of vision over time. Macular degeneration is often synonymous with age-related macular degeneration (ARMD), although age is not the only cause of vision loss. Macular degeneration is largely grouped into two categories: dry macular degeneration and wet macular degeneration, depending on the symptoms and source of the problem.
When caught early, macular degeneration is treatable. Request more information about macular degeneration treatment today: call (470) 220-4017 or contact Eye Associates of North Atlanta, LLC online.
Macular Degeneration Causes
There are two primary types of macular degeneration: dry macular degeneration and wet macular degeneration.
- Dry macular degeneration occurs when the macula, the center of the retina deteriorates. This is the most common type of macular degeneration.
- Wet macular degeneration is most often caused by leaking blood vessels in the eyes. This type of macular degeneration is far rarer and much more severe.
Both types of macular degeneration are associated with growing older, also known as age related macular degeneration. For many people, some amount of age related degeneration is unavoidable. Other risk factors that contribute to both types include:
- Family history
- Unhealthy diet
- Heart disease
Macular Degeneration Symptoms
Dry and wet macular degeneration have very different symptoms. This is how eye-health professionals determine the difference between the two:
- Dry macular degeneration symptoms appear gradually over time.
- Wet macular degeneration symptoms appear rapidly, typically after a blood vessel begins leaking.
Examples of dry macular degeneration symptoms include:
- Difficulty seeing in low-light
- Blurry vision
- Trouble recognizing faces
- Prominent blind spots
- “Shapes” in the field of vision
- Reduced color vibrancy
When dealing with dry macular degeneration, these symptoms occur slowly. Catching them early is crucial for effective treatment.
Examples of wet macular degeneration symptoms include:
- Visual distortion or waviness
- Reduced central vision
- Sudden blind spot
- Objects seeming further away than reality
Wet macular degeneration occurs very rapidly and requires immediate medical attention.
Macular Degeneration Treatment
Unfortunately there is no quick fix for macular degeneration, especially when it is age-related. Most treatments involve boosting eye health, preventing further degeneration and mitigating symptoms. Common treatments for both wet and dry macular degeneration include:
- Increasing intake of eye-healthy vitamins and minerals, such as vitamins C, E, A, Zinc and Copper
- Blood vessel growth reducing medication (for wet macular degeneration)
- Photodynamic therapy
- Laser blood vessel removal
- Lifestyle improvement
- Submacular surgery
- Retinal translocation surgery
- Special eyeglasses and contact lenses
Ultimately, age-related macular degeneration can't be cured. However, with the right assistive aids and techniques, living with macular degeneration can still be a pleasant experience. Frequent eye exams for macular degeneration can help identify symptoms before it's too late.
Request Macular Degeneration Information Now
Macular degeneration can be a frightening condition to deal with. However, macular degeneration treatment can reduce symptoms and improve quality of life. Request more information today: call (470) 220-4017 or contact Eye Associates of North Atlanta, LLC online.
Eye Associates of North Atlanta, LLC
Address5755 N Point Pkwy
Alpharetta , GA 30022
8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
We are located in the North Point Park office complex. There is one entrance off of North Point Parkway, and two entrances off of Rock Mill Road. The North Point Parkway entrance will provide the easiest access to our suite.